“Hold the dark holiday in your palms, Bite it, swallow it and survive, Come out the far black tunnel of el Día de Muerte And be glad, ah so glad you are… alive! Calavera…Calavera…” -Ray Bradbury, The Halloween Tree
Throwing your own Halloween bash this year? Mixologist Adam Seger has shared two spine-tingline cocktails to creep out your guests. Photos/Travis W Keyes
Dia de la Muerte
Note: Infuse 750ml bottle of Mezcal overnight with the zest of 7 limes of 3 crushed black limes. Black Salt is a black lava Salt from Hawaii – tastes like a beautiful mineral salt.
- Black Lime infused Pelotón de la Muerte Mezcal, Black Salt, Blood Orange Sour
- 2oz Infused Pelotón de la Muerte Artisan Mezcal
- 1oz Blood Orange Juice (or 1/2oz Blood Orange Puree)
- .5oz Lime
- .5oz Agave
Shake and strain into a Black Salt rimmed ice filled rocks glass.
Creepy Olde Fashioned
Note: Infuse overnight a 750ml bottle Five & 20 NY Rye with 1/2 cup each of Crushed Black Walnuts and Sliced Figs – strain and discard solids.
- Heizenberg Fig and Black Walnut Rye
- Hand Stabbed Ice
- Grasshopper Bitters
- Chill a rocks glass with ice.
- Discard ice and put as large an ice cube(s) as possible
- Add 2oz Infused Rye
- Add 2 barspoons (1 tsp) Maple Syrup
- Stir a dozen times
- Finish with 5 drops Critter Bitters